Thursday 13 September 2012

Different Forms of the Media



Magazines
Glamour magazine UK, is my favourite magazine which I regular buy from any shops. This is because, the magazine contains a lot of interesting features which appeals to me such as, latest fashion, make up, celebrity gossip ect. Also, it is one of Britain's number one women's magazine which highlights that it is very successful in the industry. Moreover, I really enjoy reading the magazine, however the section's I read the most, are the fashion trends and celebrity gossip. This is because, I am really interested in being up to date with new celebrity gossip and intrigued in knowing the new fashion outfits and what is suitable or not; this is what most females would want to know. Furthermore, this form of media has different purposes, such as: 'Entertainment' - the readers would be able to escape from their ordinary life and enjoy reading the magazine. 
'Information' - they would be able to find out information which they did not know about, or getting in contact with a help line, for any advice or problems which they are finding hard to deal with.

Television
Television, is a important form of media because majority of people watch television almost everyday and the media promotes new things through the television such as clothing, new technology ect, by the use of advertisements. The time of day, I usually watch television would be in the evenings, because that is when most of my favourite programmes come on such as: 'Hollyoaks', 'EastEnders', '90210', 'Made In Chelsea' ect. The reason, why I enjoy watching those specific programmes the most on television is because of the interesting storyline (which many people can relate to) as they are full with enigmas; keeping me engaged more on to the programme. I mainly watches these programmes which I have mentioned above, with me sisters, cousins and friends rather than my parents, aunt or uncle ect. This is because, those programmes are not really associated with that audience group as it mainly targets a teenage audience rather than older adults. Furthermore, purpose of using this form would be;
 'Entertainment' - viewers are able to release emotions, such as laughter or crying also they can relax and enjoy themselves; escape from their problems. 
'Identity' - they can see their reflection in the media, which helps them understand themselves, and maybe seek for advice or help if it is necessary .
'Relationship' - viewers be able to understand how other people feel and think, whilst watching their programme and it would make them feel as if they belong in a community; talk about the programme with others.
'Surveillance' - be able to find about relevant events or seek advice. 

Internet
I mostly use the internet everyday from home and also access it from school for work, research ect. 
The main sites I access are Facebook to communicate with my friends or family members, also YouTube to watch any music videos ect and Google, for researching or knowing the latest celebrity gossip Ect. Moreover, the internet has the same purpose compared to the Internet (above) as their is many things people can access, such as social websites (Face Book) watching programmes or researching ect.

Newspaper
I hardly read the newspaper daily, however the newspaper I mostly read would be the 'Sun'. This is because it contains interesting stories, which appeals to me. The section of the newspaper I mainly turn to, would be stories about celebrities, just because it really keeps me really interested in wanting to read even more and the rest of the newspaper. The stories I usually read in the newspaper, would be something really terrible, only because it would intrigue me in wanting to know more. The purpose of this form of media would be entertainment and surveillance.

Radio
I listen to the radio everyday in the morning because it keeps me in a better mood and keeps me up to date with recent events, also radio station I like the best is Kiss100, because of the music they play interests me and the presenters are funny as well. The radio station I dislike, would probably be the ones which presenters are dull and boring also if they play classical music, rock ect because I am not in to that type of music; would appeal to me. Moreover, the purpose of the radio is mainly for entertainment because the viewers can relax whilst listening to the radio, forget about their daily routine or even take part in competitions associated with that particular radio station . Also, another purpose is surveillance because, some radio station's ad breaks announce details such as places, or numbers for people who are experiencing problems at home ect.












2 comments:

  1. WWW: A brilliantly detailed outline of your media habits - including reference to the Uses and Gratifications theory. Unfortunately, you then ruin it by admitting you watch Made In Chelsea, but nobody's perfect!
    EBI: You need to be interacting with news and newspapers regularly when studying Media.
    LR: What newspapers could you build into your daily media interaction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LR: I don't really read the newspaper a lot because it does not intrigue me, and I find it a bit boring compared to reading a magazine. However, I do know that I should be reading the newspaper more often because, it would be beneficial for me; not only studying Media but in my other subjects as well. The newspapers, I could build into my daily interaction would be the 'Sun' or the 'Daily Mail'. This is because, some of the articles included in both of those newspapers, do appeal to me therefore I would read more of the newspaper to find out if there are any interesting articles. This would build my daily media interaction because, I would be sharing what I have read with my family or friends.

    ReplyDelete